Public Health Impacts of the Jewelry Supply Chain: Challengs and Solutions
Public Health Impacts of the Jewelry Supply Chain: Challenges and Solutions. In this session, Perry Gottesfeld, Executive Director of Occupational Health at Knowledge International (OK International), will cover the following topics:
- Review of key public health hazards in jewelry supply chain (mercury, cyanide, safety)
- Dust hazard in mining and cutting: link to silicosis and TB
- UN TB Declaration call for action
- Highlighting solutions: Case study of safer mining project in Nigeria
- Recommendations on the way forward
Listeners should better understand the relative risks associated with common health hazards in the jewelry supply chain and be aware of successful pilot intervention programs that have successfully reduced exposures in small-scale mining and gem cutting.